This assignment replicates an authentic process that school leaders conduct each year. Reviewing the prior and current budget against the schools CIP/SIP and the data gathered from the needs assessment are required for the principal to plan and develop the upcoming budget. This process could also reveal accomplishments in goals and help set new improvement goals for the future.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
This assignment requires the review of a full site budget, not just one area. (A sample budget is provided if you are unable to access your schools budget.).
Part 1: Collaborate
Engage in a collaborative discussion with your principal or another school principal about planning a site budget and request to review the school's current and previous year's budget, as well as their CIP/SIP. After reviewing the two budgets and the CIP/SIP, ask the principal to describe how the current budget was developed, including:
- Development timeframe
- Stakeholders involved in the process
- How needs were identified
- Process of defense and modification
- District technology requirements and their effects on the budget process
Review the differences between the current budget and the previous budget, asking the principal to provide insight on any differences. Discuss to what degree the principal thinks the budget realistically supports the CIP/SIP.
Part 2: Budgetary Needs Assessment Survey
Administer the online needs assessment survey that you created in Topic 3 to six or more faculty and staff identified by you and the principal mentor.
Use any remaining field experience hours to observe and assist the principal mentor.
Part 3: Schoolwide Budgetary Needs Assessment Summary and Reflection
In 750-1,000 words, summarize your schoolwide budgetary needs assessment, addressing:
- Background information: An overview of the school (e.g., student demographics, community profile, major programs)
- Current budget expenditures
- Current budget revenue
- Key findings from comparing last years budget, this years budget, and the current CIP/SIP
- Key findings from analyzing the results of the assessment surveys
- 2-3 preliminary suggestions you might make, based on the needs assessment data you presented
Reflect on how conducting a formalized needs assessment is an important step in promoting continuous and sustainable school improvement. Incorporate PSEL standards into your reflection. Describe how you will apply what you have learned to your future professional practice.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and PSEL standards should be referenced using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.